WhatsApp call button


Expert Advice & News

Do I Need a Plumber or a Heating Engineer?

Many people assume that all plumbers can install and repair boilers, and that all heating engineers can deal with general plumbing problems. However, this isn’t always the case. Both jobs are specialised and require skill and experience, but not all plumbers work with boilers and not all heating engineers work with general plumbing issues! 

To help clear up confusion, we’ve written the following short guide so you’ll always know who to call in the event of a plumbing or heating problem in your home.

When you need a plumber

Plumbers carry out a full range of work in your home, with anything related to pipes. This could be fixing a leaking tap, installing a shower, repairing a dishwasher or fitting a bathroom. They’re skilled and busy people! So if you need help with any of the above or anything else related to the plumbing and pipes in your home, a plumber is who you need to call.

When you need a heating engineer

While plumbers carry out a lot of general installation and repair work, a heating engineer specialises in boilers and central heating systems. This means that they are qualified and experienced to undertake boiler installations, boiler servicing and boiler repairs. Heating engineers are Gas Safe registered, and able to deal with any central heating related issues you might have, from a broken boiler to needing a powerflush.

Can a person be both?

Yes they can! Always check before you arrange for someone to carry out the work you need on your home, but many professional plumbers are also specialist heating engineers. If the work you need doing relates to your gas boiler, check for their Gas Safe registration, and it’s also worth visiting their website and reading their reviews for the types of work they have undertaken, which will hopefully offer you extra peace of mind.

Looking for a plumber or heating engineer in Essex? 

At BoilerOne, we offer our specialist plumbing and heating engineer service across Leigh on Sea, Eastwood, Rayleigh, Hockley, Rochford, Ashingdon, Hawkwell, Hullbridge, Southend on Sea, Westcliff on Sea, Thorpe Bay, Shoeburyness, North Shoebury, Great Wakering, Chalkwell, Benfleet, Hadleigh, Thundersley and Daws Heath. 

Whether you’re looking for general plumbing repairs or boiler care or installation, we’re happy to help - just get in touch. 

You can call us on 07522 617047, email us at info@boilerone.co.uk or fill out our contact form.